Image Map

Monday, March 22, 2010

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies (or Chocolate Chip)

I wanted to make some oatmeal toffee cookies yesterday and I had some leftover toffee bits and chocolate chips so I decided to make half with the chocolate chips and half with the toffee. I've been on a toffee kick lately, it's just so yummy. I got the urge to make these because I was craving one of my mother-in-law's oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. She is a cookie queen! You name it, she can make it perfectly! I, on the other hand, am pretty good but no cookie queen. I should have listened to myself and gotten out her recipe and followed it but being the lazy person I am (which I am working on) I decided to just google a recipe. I ended up using the Hershey's recipe and though the cookies are tasty, they are no Mrs. B cookies. Mine came out chewy and flat while hers are always perfectly round and more fluffy than chewy. I was a little disappointed that they weren't like hers so I called her to see what I did wrong. Well, come to find out, the more brown sugar the flatter and chewier the cookie. She usually does half brown sugar, half regular sugar. Next time I'll know to follow the Queen's recipe rather than be lazy. I am still learning new things every single day about baking so bear with me while I make some yummy mistakes along the way.

Hershey's Oatmeal Toffee Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1-1/3 cups (8 oz. pkg.) HEATH BITS 'O BRICKLE Toffee Bits
1 cup MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes(optional)

Note: I left out the coconut flakes and I halved the batter before I added my toffee and chocolate chips. In one half I used about a cup of toffee bits and a cup of chocolate chips in the other.

Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet. Beat butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; beat until blended.

Stir in oats, toffee bits (or chocolate chips) and coconut, if desired, with spoon. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto prepared sheet.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 minute; remove to wire rack. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.

This recipe is pretty simple and quick. I'll definitely keep it in mind just in case I need some chewy cookies sometime.




1 comment: